Restful travels with sleep apnea are possible!
Traveling is an exciting and enriching experience, but for those with sleep apnea, it comes with its unique set of challenges. By addressing these challenges and emphasizing the importance of sleep apnea management during trips, you can embark on your adventures with confidence and peace of mind.
At Smiles on Hudson, we’ll equip you with the tools and insights to make your travel experiences with sleep apnea as comfortable and restful as possible. Call us at (914) 271-4726.
MAD Therapy: The traveler’s solution for sleep apnea management
MAD therapy offers a convenient and effective alternative to CPAP machines, allowing travelers to maintain their sleep apnea treatment regimen while on the road.
This therapy is a non-invasive treatment option for sleep apnea. It involves the use of a custom-made oral appliance that is worn during sleep. The device works by repositioning the lower jaw and tongue to keep the airway open, thus preventing apnea episodes.
Here’s why MAD therapy is a valuable consideration for travelers with sleep apnea:
- 5Portability: MAD devices are compact and lightweight, making them an ideal option for travel. They can easily fit into a carry-on bag or pocket.
- 5Convenience: MAD therapy doesn't require electricity or special adapters, making it suitable for travel to destinations with varying power sources and plug types.
- 5Improved Sleep Quality: MAD devices can enhance sleep quality, even in unfamiliar sleep environments. This is crucial for travelers who want to make the most of their trips without suffering from sleep-related exhaustion.
The sleep apnea traveler’s checklist
Packing for Success
When it comes to packing for your travel with sleep apnea, meticulous planning can make all the difference. Here’s what you need:
- Your pillow, mask liners, earplugs, or noise-canceling headphones.
- An adequate supply of any medications you may need, and keep them in their original containers.
- Bring travel-sized cleaning supplies for your MAD equipment to maintain hygiene during your trip.
- Look into travel insurance options that cover medical equipment and emergencies related to your condition.
Choosing sleep-friendly accommodations
Selecting the right place to stay can significantly impact your sleep quality. Request a quiet room away from elevators, ice machines, or other potential sources of noise.
Adjusting to time zone changes
- Start adjusting your sleep schedule a few days before your trip to better align with your destination’s time zone.
- Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated, and avoid excessive caffeine or alcohol, which can disrupt your sleep.
- Spend time outdoors during daylight hours to help your body adjust to the new time zone.
Staying healthy on the road
- Incorporate light exercises or stretches into your daily routine to prevent stiffness and improve circulation.
- Choose nutritious, balanced meals and avoid heavy or spicy foods close to bedtime.
- Try to maintain a consistent sleep schedule as much as possible, even when traveling.
Better sleep starts here!
Our Croton-on-Hudson dentists should be your first call if you suffer from sleep apnea. Smiles on Hudson provides the most advanced sleep apnea tests, diagnoses, and treatments to help you breathe better and improve your sleep.
We’ll work with you to create an individualized treatment plan, which may include a custom-made mandibular advancement device (MAD) and guidance on lifestyle modifications that can significantly improve your sleep apnea.
“From the time you walk in, you feel comfortable and welcomed. Dr. Gold explains in detail any procedure he’s going to do. I can’t say enough good things.”
Get Started Today
We look forward to welcoming you to our office and providing quality care.
Our Croton-on-Hudson dental office
2018 Albany Post Road
Croton-On-Hudson, NY 10520