A simple technique for diagnosing sleep apnea
Whether you’re trying to get a better night’s sleep or want to figure out what might be keeping you up at night, home sleep testing can be a great way to diagnose obstructive sleep apnea.
In fact, home sleep tests are so effective that many insurance companies recommend them before prescribing continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) therapy.
At Smiles on Hudson, we want you to have safe and restful sleep… We can help you diagnose sleep disorders and offer solutions for sleep apnea treatment. Book now to schedule an appointment.
Facts about at-home sleep tests
A sleep test is used to diagnose sleep disorders like sleep apnea. The test primarily focuses on monitoring breathing patterns, and not the actual sleep itself. It measures various breathing parameters, including pauses in breathing, the effort required to breathe, and the depth of breathing. This information helps to identify any breathing abnormalities that may indicate sleep apnea or other sleep disorders.
Some things you should consider about an at-home sleep apnea test:
- 5Not an over-the-counter test.
- 5Uses sensors to detect breathing patterns.
- 5Most at-home sleep tests are low commitment and less expensive than a sleep study conducted in a clinic.
- 5Doesn’t detect other sleep issues you may have.
Get ready for your sleep test
To prepare for your at-home sleep test, we’ll provide you with specific instructions on how to set up the equipment or wear the sensors.
Some common recommendations for preparing for a sleep test are:
- Make sure you have a comfortable place to sleep.
- Avoid consuming caffeine or alcohol before the test.
- Try to follow your usual sleep routine as much as possible.
- Make sure the room you will be sleeping in is dark, quiet, and at a comfortable temperature.
- Make sure you understand how to use the equipment and how to properly place the sensors on your body before starting the test.
- Keep a diary of your symptoms, like snoring, choking or gasping, insomnia, and others — it will help your doctor understand your sleep patterns better.
By following these steps, you can ensure that your at-home sleep test is as accurate and comfortable as possible.
What happens next?
After your sleep study, you’ll be given a report of your results and recommendations. You may get an answer to what was causing you to not sleep well at night.
If you are experiencing problems with your sleep, it may be a sign of obstructive sleep apnea. This can lead to serious health issues and even death if left untreated. Luckily, OSA is treatable.
Don’t let sleep disorders go undiagnosed any longer
At Smiles on Hudson, we’re committed to helping our patients achieve optimal oral health, which includes addressing sleep disorders.
We now offer the convenience of an at-home sleep test. This test allows patients to easily and comfortably evaluate their sleep patterns, providing valuable information that can help improve their overall oral health.
Call us at (914) 271-4726 or book online!
“From the time you walk in, you feel comfortable and welcomed. Dr. Gold explains in detail any procedure he’s going to do. I can’t say enough good things.”
Get Started Today
We look forward to welcoming you to our office and providing quality care.
Our Croton-on-Hudson dental office
2018 Albany Post Road
Croton-On-Hudson, NY 10520