Having trouble sleeping well at night?
Sleep apnea can make it hard to get a good night’s sleep and can cause a range of health problems. Living with sleep apnea can be a challenge, but there are effective solutions to help you overcome it.
At Smiles on Hudson, we’re dedicated to helping you get a good night’s sleep and improving your overall health. Here are some tips and tricks for overcoming the challenges of living with sleep apnea.
Whether you’ve just been diagnosed or have been struggling with this condition for a while, we hope these suggestions will help you get the restful, rejuvenating sleep you deserve.
Tips and Tricks for Living with Sleep Apnea
So, you’ve been diagnosed with sleep apnea, and you might be wondering what the next step is. At Smiles on Hudson, we understand that receiving any diagnosis is challenging, so we ensure you feel confident, prepared, and comfortable in our care. You can make lifestyle changes to manage your symptoms and improve your overall health.
Healthy diet and exercise routine
One of the most important things you can do is maintain a healthy diet and exercise routine. Eating a well-balanced diet and staying physically active can help you keep a healthy weight, reducing your risk of developing sleep apnea or improving your symptoms if you already have it.
Avoid alcohol and tobacco
Another tip for living with sleep apnea is to avoid alcohol and tobacco. These substances can relax the muscles in your throat, making breathing more difficult during sleep. By cutting back on or eliminating alcohol and tobacco from your lifestyle, you can help alleviate your sleep apnea symptoms and improve your overall health.
Use a humidifier at night
A humidifier adds moisture to the air you breathe, which can help reduce inflammation and irritation in your airways. This can make breathing easier during sleep and reduce the severity of your sleep apnea symptoms.
Practice good sleep hygiene
- 5Establish a regular sleep schedule and stick to it: Going to bed and waking up at the same time every day can help regulate your body's internal clock and promote restful sleep.
- 5Create a relaxing sleep environment: Ensure your bedroom is cool, dark, and quiet. Use comfortable bedding and pillows.
- 5Limit screen time before bedtime: The blue light emitted by electronic devices can disrupt your sleep-wake cycle and make it harder to fall asleep. Try to avoid using electronic devices for at least an hour before bedtime.
Sleep in a comfortable position
Sleeping on your side or stomach can help keep your airway open and reduce the severity of your symptoms.
- 5Use pillows to prop yourself up: If you have trouble sleeping on your side, try using pads to prop yourself up. You can place a pillow behind your back to prevent yourself from rolling onto your back during the night.
- 5Try a body pillow: You can place the body pillow between your legs to help align your hips and reduce pressure on your lower back.
- 5Consider an adjustable bed: An adjustable bed can elevate your head and upper body, which can help reduce snoring and improve sleep apnea symptoms.
Best advice yet: keep your oral appliance clean!
If you’re diagnosed with sleep apnea, you’re most likely using an oral appliance. Keeping your mandibular advancement device (MAD) clean is essential to prevent the buildup of bacteria and other harmful microorganisms. Here are some tips for keeping your oral appliance clean:
- Rinse your MAD with warm water after each use: After using your MAD, rinse it thoroughly with warm water to remove any saliva or debris.
- Use a soft toothbrush to clean your MAD: Use a mild soap or denture cleaner to gently clean your oral appliance. Be sure to rinse it thoroughly after cleaning.
- Store your MAD in a clean, dry place: To prevent the buildup of bacteria and other harmful microorganisms.
Learn more about keeping your MAD clean at Smiles on Hudson. If you are having trouble with your device, we offer MAD for Croton-on-Hudson sleep apnea treatment, and our team of dentists is always here to help you find the right MAD that fits your specific needs.
Don’t let sleep apnea control your life — we’re here to help!
If you’re struggling to manage your sleep apnea symptoms, it’s essential to regularly consult with one of our dentists to receive the best possible care for your sleep apnea. At Smiles on Hudson, we offer sleep apnea tests, diagnoses, and treatments. We can also guide you on properly caring for your oral sleep appliance to ensure it remains effective and comfortable.
By following these tips and working with us, you can overcome the challenges of living with sleep apnea and enjoy a better quality of life. Remember to prioritize good sleep hygiene, maintain a healthy lifestyle, and keep your oral appliance clean to achieve the best possible results. Take control of your sleep and your health today!
Call us at (914) 271-4726 or book online!
“From the time you walk in, you feel comfortable and welcomed. Dr. Gold explains in detail any procedure he’s going to do. I can’t say enough good things.”
Get Started Today
We look forward to welcoming you to our office and providing quality care.
Our Croton-on-Hudson dental office
2018 Albany Post Road
Croton-On-Hudson, NY 10520